Saturday, August 17, 2013

CAROLE'S ENGLISH MUFFIN BREAD

Carole's English Muffin Bread

Yes folks, the most bread-challenged person in the world actually made bread that looks, feels and tastes like bread.  I am known far and wide of my inability to make things bread.  I gave this recipe a shot because it looked easy, required no kneading (they say I tend to overwork the dough).  So I have reached a milestone in my cooking career today and I feel so proud.  Definitely try this.  It does have a texture similar to english muffins, but all slathered with butter--well, it is delicious!

August 19:  Got up today and there is less than half a loaf of one loaf left.  Guess the hubs liked it! <3


Carole’s English Muffin Bread

5 1/2 cups warm water

3 packages RAPID RISE yeast
2 Tablespoons salt
3 Tablespoons sugar * (if you aren't much of a salt eater, reduce to 2 Tbs)
11 cups flour (I used sifted flour….but Carole said her Mom always used All Purpose)

Mix altogether, then spoon into (4) well greased loaf pans. Let rise in pans until dough reaches the top of the pans, and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown. 10 minutes before done, brush with melted butter. Makes 4 loaves. Bread will be moist at first. Allow to COOL COMPLETELY before cutting. Makes terrific toast.

KITCHEN NOTES I combined and sifted all the dry ingredients together in a very large bowl (my ancient Tupperware gargantuan bowl) and then added the warm water.  (Not over 110 degrees or it will kill the yeast). Begin to combine with a large balloon whisk and then use a heavy duty rubber spatula to thoroughly combine. *Next time I make this (and I will) I will be reducing the salt to 2 Tbs. I just thought it had a bit too much of a salty taste for me.  And I did moisten my fingertips after I had it all portioned out and kind of gently smoothed out the tops. I also brushed the bread a second time with butter as soon as it came out of the oven...just for good measure. Use for sandwiches, breafast, toast or anything you would use bread for. 
Look, it is actually rising!

(Update: You can use regular yeast, but you will need to let is rise TWICE. Once in the bowl, til it reaches the top…and then again in the pans, til it reaches the top. With the RAPID RISE you only need to let it rise once in the pans.)


This recipe is from the blog One Good Thing -http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/02/moms-english-muffin-bread.html

No comments :

Post a Comment