Wednesday, July 31, 2013

AUNT BETTY'S BEST PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES


The hubs loves peanut butter cookies.  He of course prefers my homemade ones, but stoops so low as to buy store-bought when I'm not in the mood to make cookies.  I have promised him these cookies for quite a while, so a double batch was whipped up tonight.  First batch, and at his request, my fabulous recipe with Reese's Pieces mixed in.  Second batch, the regular way.  After it was all said and done, he still prefers the regular ones.  And I do too.  Don't mess with my peanut butter cookies.   Years and years ago, I started with my maternal grandmother's recipe, but of course I had to tweak it here and there.  These are so light, crispy and absolutely melt in your mouth.  Make some for your family~~ they'll love you even more!



Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Ingredients

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter flavored Crisco (I use the pre-measured sticks)
1 cup extra-crunchy peanut butter*
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Directions
Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Mix together thoroughly or sift after measuring.

Cream your sugars, Crisco, vanilla and peanut butter until very light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.  Switch to your dough hook and begin adding your dry ingredients, one third at a time and beat until well combined.

Scoop with 1" cookie scoop or roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten with tines of a fork.

Bake 13 minutes until light golden brown for a wonderfully crisp cookie that will melt in your mouth as soon as you bite in.

Remove to wire rack and cool completely.

*NOTESI prefer to use my stand mixer.  The final batter is pretty stiff.  I use the beaters first to cream the sugar, crisco and peanut butter, then switch to the dough hooks when I start to add the dry ingredients.  That last third of dry ingredients is a booger to combine by hand or with regular beaters unless you are using those hooks.  Almost too stiff for a hand mixer.  I also use a stainless steel cookie scoop for size uniformity.  *If you have some roasted peanuts, you can add about 1/4 cup of chopped additional peanuts for more crunch.  Fold them in after adding your dry ingredients. I just use my little electric Handi-Chopper or my food processor for this.  And like I did, you can add in Reese's Pieces, Chocolate Chips, Toffee Chips or whatever your preference is and make them your own.  I did. 
As a personal preference, I always bake cookies on 3 cookie sheets.  I use Air-Bake brand cookie sheets and absolutely love them.  You should never put cookies on a hot pan, as it causes them to collapse.  This way, you can rotate one pan to cool while loading another and the third in the oven.  Lickety split and you'll be finished.
Enjoy~~ Aunt Betty

No comments :

Post a Comment